Compression Socks for Ankle Injuries
If you have injured your ankle recently you might be wondering what can you do about the pain, and get back to moving around with less pain. You might want to try compression socks for ankle injuries. Compression socks or sleeves have many benefits. They can provide compression which helps reduce swelling and promotes increased blood flow. Also, a compression sock or sleeve can provide some much-needed support for injured ankle and tendons.
Why use a Compression Sock or Compression Sleeve?
Compression is the key that can help control swelling. Compression ankle socks and sleeves promote good blood circulation which helps heal faster. The consistent pressure of the compression ankle sleeve assists the veins in pushing blood back to the heart that increases the flow of oxygen-rich blood to working muscles. It also provides support to the damaged tissues surrounding the ankle including the ligaments.
Compression ankle sleeves help alleviate the pain from putting weight on the injured foot as well. Not only during an ankle injury should you wear compression ankle socks and sleeves, but you should also wear compression ankle socks or sleeves while performing tasks that require a lot of footwork, like in basketball, tennis, soccer and other sports that demand the use your ankle muscles and tendons. For those who have a history of ankle injuries, it is best to wear compression ankle socks or sleeves while participating in physical activities because they are more prone to having another ankle injury, such as an ankle sprain.
Features of Compression Socks and Sleeves
Some of the basic features of compression ankle sleeves are
- Prevents Injury – Aside from preventing ankle sprains and improving recovery time, compression ankle sleeves prevent injury and re-injury if worn on a daily basis
- Alleviate aches and Pains -Ankle sleeves help relieve pain and swelling
- Improve Performance and Balance – Ankle compression sleeves help improve performance and balance during physical activities. Since compression sleeves improve blood flow throughout the muscles it will result in a higher rate of oxygen supplied to the muscles which generate more energy.
- Provide Soothing Comfort -The compression ankle sleeves provide soothing comfort, especially when a person is injured, allowing the patient to relax through the otherwise throbbing pain.
- Protection – Another feature is protection; compression ankle sleeves can protect the ankle from further injury because it stabilizes the foot from external forces.
- Extra Bonus Benefit – In addition, these ankle socks and sleeves are beneficial to people suffering from plantar fasciitis because it also provides compression in the sole of the foot.
Compression Socks and Sleeves Reviewed
We took a look at 5 different compression socks for ankle pain. We felt that the Bauerfield Ankle Support Dynamic was the best compression sock for ankle pain. It’s slim design, light knit fabric, and medical grade compression met all our criteria for being the test compression sock or sleeve we tested.
Is slim fitting with medical grade compression for increased stabilization. The specially designed knit fabric is light but is made from a very durable material. It is washable, comes in 11 sizes and 3 colors.
- Users felt the compression sock was incredibly flexible
- Many felt the compression sock was very sturdy and helped with preventing injury
- Provides solid foot support
- Some felt the compression sock was tighter around the foot than ankle
- Some users felt the sizing was a little off and you might want to purchase a smaller size
- Users felt it took a little while to get used to wearing the compression sock
Specially designed massage zone at the bottom of the foot promotes circulation. High tech compression fibers stabilize the ligaments and muscles. Comes in 7 sizes and 1 color.
- Users liked the massage zone and the extra circulation it provides
- Many liked the stabilization the compression fibers provided for the foot
- Users felt the sleeve provided for a better fit due to the more anatomical design
- Some felt the compression sock was too geared toward foot support
- Users felt like the sock would work better as a pair
- Some users felt the sock was a little hard to remove after using all day
Has an adjustable strap for a perfect fit. The compression sleeve has moisture wicking fabric which helps eliminate odor. Compression helps support and provide stabilization to the ankle.
- Users really enjoyed the comfort of the sleeve after wearing for long periods of time
- Many like the size and lack of bulk. Which allowed shoes to fit better
- Most user really liked the adjustability which allowed for more or less compression based on your injury and needs
- Some felt the sleeve lacked support when conducting more they were more active.
- Users felt like it was hard to get just the right amount of support unless you really tightened the adjustable straps
- Some thought the brace wore prematurely after washing several times
Provides support for ankle, Achilles tendon, and back or your heel. Arch support provides relief from plantar fasciitis. Targeted compression to many different parts of the foot to help reduce swelling. Comes in 4 sizes and 1 color.
- People thought the compression sock was very supportive
- Many users enjoyed the feel of the sock after wearing for long periods of time
- The brace helped all users with providing support and compression or relieve swelling
- Some felf the sock became uncomfortable after wearing for long periods of time.
- Users stated it was hard to remove the sock after wearing it
- Some felt the brace would lose its compression after many washings.
Provides even compression across the entire ankle joint to provide pain relief. Tight and form-fitting to provide extra circulation and support. Breathable material helps reduce odors and keeps your feet dry.
- The sock is very durable even after repeated washings.
- Users felt the sock was very comfortable and effective when wearing for long periods of time
- Many felt like the brace was easy to get on and off.
- Some users felt the sizing was off, and you should get a size larger in order for the brace to fit comfortably
- Users felt like the compression sock wasn’t supportive enough if you have a more severe injury, and was only useful as a preventative from getting further injured
- Many users felt the compression sock was comfortable but not as supportive as it could be.
So which is the best compression sock for ankle injuries?
In conclusion, you can’t go wrong with the Bauerfield Ankle Support Dynamic, it is the best compression sock for ankle injuries. However you really can’t go wrong with any of the compression socks or sleeves we reviewed in this post. If you are having ankle pain, it is important to see a doctor for a checkup. You deserve to feel better and get back to your day-to-day activities. With the right care and treatment plan, you will be back on health feet in no time.